January 26, 2017

Benefits of biotic pollination

The term pollination refers to the transfer of pollen from anther to stigma. Biotic pollination is effected by animals. In biotic pollination, the pollinating agents include bees, wasps, butterflies, moths, birds, bats and flies.

In biotic pollination, the animal visits flowers to obtain resources (usually food in the form of nectar) and return a benefit by transporting pollen among the plants they visit.

90% of flowering plants uses the biotic pollination, in other words, with pollinators help. The other 10% uses the abiotic way that consists in the diffusion principally through air and water.

Some pollinator tends to visit only some species of flowers, avoiding in other species on their route this behavior is denominated flower constancy.

It is estimated that 75% of globally important crops benefit from biotic pollination in various ways, from directly increased yields to greater crop quality or other agronomic benefits.

In many crops, biotic pollination produces fruits with greater weight compared with those produced by wind and self-pollination alone increasing the total market output per hectare.
Benefits of biotic pollination

Popular Posts

SAF-DYNAMICS of Food Science and Technology

Feed from Food History

Interesting articles

  • In the 1930s, J. H. Kellogg confirmed the positive effects of wheat bran on patients suffering with colitis and constipation. 1953 British physician, Dr. E...
  • Sherry vinegar is a Spanish vinegar made from fermenting sherry wine, then straining and bottling it. The base is sherry wine, and the type of grape used t...
  • Psychoanalysis is defined as a set of analyzing psychic phenomena and treating emotional disorders that involves treatment sessions during which the patien...